Scottish born of Polish parents, raised in London and one of the last Ellis Island immigrants to the United States, Krystyna received her degree in Commercial Art from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. Her early career in fashion design led her to the famous “garment district” where she successfully designed and distributed her “Miss Krys” clothing line of Teen Sportswear for Edy Winter Fashion Houses. Her career turned to that of a more traditional oil painter when she married an Army Officer, began the nomadic life of an Army wife and arrived in Monterey, California. There she turned to studio and plein air oils and studied under noted portrait artist Jessy Corseau and seascape artist Harriett Mayland as well as othe artists prominent on the Carmel art scene. Today, Krystyna works in all medias but it is her work in oils that comprises the majority of her work which mirrors her rich and diversified life experiences throughout the United States and Europe.
After moving to the Southwest, her passion turned to capturing the charm of missions and historical structures bathed in the lights and shadows of morning and evening light. Today her work is recognized for not only her enticing compositions but her use of a rich color palette and use of depth to bring out the warmth of Southwestern scenes. Krystyna’s paintings are represented in private, public and corporate collections worldwide and has received recognition in many, many juried exhibits and shows, most notably in the Southwest. Krystyna is one of the Founders of the Plein Air Painters of El Paso and conducts workshops New Mexico, El Paso, California and Europe to help other artists follow in her footsteps.
Krystyna’s work is widely exhibited in juried shows throughout the Southwest and her paintings are represented in private, public and corporate collections worldwide and her work is notably represented in the International Association of the Visual Arts (IAVA) Museum of El Paso, Texas.
Recently accepted an an Associate Member of the Oil Painters of America (OPA), Krystyna has achieved a lifelong goal of recognition among her peers. Major recognition and exhibits have included:
- David Carrasco Memorial Award, EPAA Pastel Society 2013
- Oil Painters of America (OPA) Salon Show, Petroskey MI 2013
- Associate Member, Oil Painters of America (OPA) 2013
- First Place Sunland Art Border Show 2012, Oils
- Best of Show in Landscape, Oils, Arts International, 2010
- Best of Show Pastel Society of El Paso, 2005, 2008, 2009
- International Sun Bowl Award, Oils, IAVA
- GECU National Award for VISA Image
- EPAA Top Purchase Award, Arts International
- Annual Carmel, CA Art Contest—New Artist Award
- Monterey, CA Museum of Art
- Seaside, CA Art Commission
- Llano Estacado Museum, Mexico
- Midland, TX Museum Art Show
- Kermezaar Art Show, 20+ years of Juried selection
- Ruidoso Art Association Show, 20+ years of Juried selection
- Over fifty 1st, 2nd , 3rd Place and Honorable Mention awards in Oils, Pastels, and Watercolors